Saturday, January 30, 2010

WORRIES AT WRIGLEY!

OK, so we've got problems with our snow removal, our parking prices, and our local candidates. But there are some even more serious problems brewing at Wrigley...!

The Ricketts family is talking about "revitalizing" the Friendly Confines. Just 10 weeks away from opening day, we have to wonder if good intentions are going to mess up the last neighborhood ball park of its kind in America. Sure, the barnyard-like latrines need changes...some of the cramped seating needs repairs...and most of the food could use a little upgrading. But lets not try to turn a classic into just another copy.

Mr. R, , after 60 years of watching your Cubs, here's my list of the Untouchables. The unmechanized scoreboard! The uncouth bleachers! The unfriendly ushers! The unsophisticated beer hawkers! The unhealthy pizza slabs! Look, I know you can't do much about the unlucky team, but at least you can preserve some of your park's unduplicatabtle features.

Otherwise I'll think I'm in Sox Park...


3 comments:

  1. Start a FaceBook group, "I bet I can get 10,000 people to play "the Dying Cubs Fan Last Request" by Steve Goodman, all at the same time."
    Maybe on 40,000 ipod and others of that ilk, held high in the air on opening day?

    tried to sign this as "sure my name is eURLe" and the system says it contains illegal characters
    Maybe it's smart enough to know I'm knocking it's name/URL option.
    Obviously, this does not like alanbard@comcast.net. Always knew he was an illegal character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope revitalizing doesn't mean changing all those old Wrigley traditions you mention, that make it the still the best park around in my opinion! You can spruce it up without taking away it's charm...a charm that no other field possesses. That's why even though the Cubs aren't the best team, it's always a good day at Wrigley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you -- altho I'm still not sure whether Anonymous is a Cub fan or not. Maybe it's best not to contract this disease, for it's essentially incurable.

    ReplyDelete