Monday, July 9, 2012

WHICH MAYBERRY DO YOU MISS MOST - OAK PARK OR EVANSTON?

Actually there probably are no 20th C Mayberry's left in our 21st C. But at one time, inhabited by good and gentle folks like Andy Griffith, there were thousands. I know because I lived in one. Lately I've discovered on Facebook literally thousands of wistful adults who grew up in similar Mayberry's.

But something ugly has happened right before our mistful eyes. Wannabe Andy's -- like Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, and Tea Partiers -- have kidnapped our lovely green town, and are holding its gentle folks hostage. Yep, hostage to their mis-informed take on the town.

Seems like they're using the soft rhythms of that older America to tout something they're calling the "real America." As I hear them using that name, I hear them mocking communities like today's Oak Park and Evanston who've been busy saving not just touting Mayberry. Not by deep-freezing it in their angry speeches, but by keeping its soul alive by adding to its population....!

Stroll their streets and stores today and I promise you this. You'll find some of the very same verdant lawns and gardens and Victorians of old. And populated with some of the very same kids selling lemonade, dads trimming bushes, moms making dinner, neighbors sharing over backyard fences, and walk-to stores and churches. Just like I remember.

Only...!

Only Oak Park and Evanston have thoughtfully added to their Wonder Bread populations. Populations of all kinds, colors, and faiths. Honestly, when I look back to my Mayberry, its glory still shines. Only looking around Oak Park and Evanston's population, now I know what was missing.


No comments:

Post a Comment