Monday, February 1, 2010

THE TINMAN VS THE SCARECROW

The Tinman wished for a heart, and the Scarecrow a brain. Whose wish was best? A few words on behalf of the heart in this month which celebrates matters of the heart.

Yes, yes, doctor, the heart is simply another organ; but the Tinman and I speak here of the heart in its fullest metaphorical meaning. It represents all those feelings rather than thoughts within us which help account for what and who we love...what and why we create...how we experience the drama of nature, of life, of death and of whatever lies beyond.

Here's what the brain can do -- think, compute, analyze, reach cognitive judgments. Nobly, it distinguishes us from the animals. Here's what the heart can do -- feel, experience, arrive at human relationships. Nobly, it distinguishes us not only from the animals, but in some ways from the brain. While the brain can inform us about the mechanics of the cosmos, it often defers to the heart when it comes to the meaning of that cosmos. And of those in it to whom we are drawn by our deepest and most lasting loves.

Dorothy quite properly left the Scarecrow in charge of Oz, because of his great intellect. But she also reminded Oz to listen to the beat of the Tinman's great heart. Which is precisely why I have framed in my room a powerful letter I received from Cardinal Bernadin as he was dying in 1996 from a cancer similar to mine. He said in part: "Like you, my head has doubts at times, but never my heart..."

The good Cardinal died a noble death. The good Tinman, I'm sure, lived a noble life. Here's to good hearts, not only this month of hearts, but every month. And not only medically, but meritoriously as well.


2 comments:

  1. Your distinction is beautifully written. I personally wish I used my brain more often to think than my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding the right balance -- that's the key, right? But that's never easy nor static. Some situations require more of one than the other. Usually we can tell which those are...

    ReplyDelete