Friday, June 19, 2009

I'M LOSING MY HEARING

Among the many things you needn't be bothered with is the medical fact that I'm losing my hearing....!

No, deafness isn't in the prognosis. Although Beethoven seemed to handle his without missing a beat. In my case, it's predicable aging. They inform me I will progressively miss more and more of what people are saying to me. But when you think about that, is this actually all that bad?

I calculate there are a good many things worth missing in my little world:

* The first thing that comes to mind are rebuttals. For someone with so many opinions he actually presumes to blog them every day, rebuttals can be downright annoying. I mean look at it this way. As a long-time teacher I was raised in a venue where I talked and they listened. That can get to be a very comfortable habit. Shortly after our marriage, Joan made it perfectly clear our home was not a classroom, and she was not my student. Still, old ways die hard...
* Then there's the nightly news. As a well-intentioned citizen I try to listen, but the endless drumbeat of dangers and disasters takes its toll. Recently, I notice the toll is less, because I am missing more. And what's so bad about that....
* Dialog is another hearing loss. In the movies of my time, actors enunciated every word on a sound-stage set. These days they mumble on-location with all the ambient sounds. Upon reflection, though, I've come to the conclusion that some of their dialog is well worth missing...
* If you enjoy classical music, a hearing loss can be a problem. Especially when the passages are modulated so quietly that listeners like me can't hear a note. On the other hand, if you enjoy rock music, you'll never ever miss a note. Stone deaf, you'll still feel the gritty beat of those electric guitars...
* Diminished hearing is an out-and-out blessing on two specific occasions. One, the daily roar of jets overhead and power mowers below. Second, the social chit-chattering over cocktails at parties. One learns to smile and occasionally say, "How very true..." That worked until the party where my hostess giggled something to the effect, "Even after my latest diet there are times when I still feel fat!"

Now look, if you're going to disagree with me on this, I call to your attention a sign my sister-in-law gave me last Christmas. It read: "Lets have an intelligent conversation -- I'll talk and you listen!" But then she's such a kidder.

5 comments:

  1. What did you just say?? Hey, you're right. Sometimes hearing loss can be a hearing gain. My list of "gains" is even longer than yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, regarding your "dialogue" paragraph, I totally agree but here is the biggest reason for the differences of then and now: In our time movies had optical sound tracks which had little room for dynamics. The acting talent trained differently and the optical recordist had to keep sound above ground noise. Now, with magnetic or digital sound, talent can mumble and supposely still be heard, if one is in one's twenties. What gets me is how nasal most female news analysts, actors and vocalists are lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, you as a professional sound man understand these things very well. What I especially loveed about you comment is there's no problem hearing the dialog "if one is in one's twenties." That hits it right on the head (or the ear), because past 30 I've found myself lip-reading half the films I go to. Lately, even that isn't enough; but then I reason, most of the plots aren't worth the effort anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plucky, almost merry acquiescence to time's penalty for overextended use is further testimony to your inherent perspicacity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jay, God I love the way your use words. I have vowed to use "perspicacity" at the very first opportunity!

    ReplyDelete