Tuesday, December 8, 2009

JUST WHAT WE NEED, AN ECONOMIST'S TAKE ON CHRISTMAS

Tis the season, once again, for believers to believe with deep commitment, and constitutional lawyers to disbelieve with law suits against Nativity Scenes. Damn, but Christmas isn't how I remember it as a kid. Come to think of it, nothing is. Which makes vintage men like me wonder if their young memories ever really happened...!

Joining this clash of Christmas Pasts now are the economists. You know, the guys with the exotic graphs who botched 1929 and again 2009. Take economist Joel Waldfogel of the Boston Globe. He has this theory. Well, all economists have theories.... only some of them remind you of the sex expert who developed 35 theories on copulation, but never met a woman!

Mr. Waldfogel estimates $$65 billion in holiday spending this year. He calls this "an orgy of value destruction," because "research shows people do not much like the gifts they receive." In fact, his research tells Mr. W. that people value these gifts "20% less than the purchases they make for themselves."

Now keep up with me here, for this is how economists think: "Therefore our $65 billion holiday splurge generates about $12 billion less satisfaction than it would if we spent the money on ourselves."

Frankly, I can't think of anyone this side of Ebeneezer Scrooge who could suck more life out of this holiday than an economist. However...! With all due respect, the man has given me a great new weapon with my consumer-advocate wife. Concludes the great man: "Therefore, few gifts can compete with a gift card that empowers the recipient to choose for themself."

Exactly my argument every time I have to load another dozen gift boxes into the car for delivery. I love my wife....but, honestly sweetheart, ribbon-ed gift cards are just so much lighter...!

1 comment:

  1. The original spirit of Christmas has been so lost for so long, I don't imagine we'll every get it back.

    ReplyDelete