Monday, December 28, 2009

AT LAST - A PURPOSE TO THIS DAMN TV SET!

A television screen has been staring back at me for years. From the B&W innocence of "I Love Lucy" and "Milton Berle," thro the blood of '63 Dallas and '68 Chicago, right up to the mayhem of our new century. Then came cable and its 40 channels of wall-to-wall music. At long lugubrious last , an authentic purpose for this ugly screen -- mixing a jigger of music with its relentless bile of mayhem...!

Now I get up every morning gifted with 40 options at my fingertips. Instead of the trip-hammer news reports and insipid talk shows, I can tap into the commercial-free sounds that soothe the savage beast. Music has been one of humanity's better achievements. From the primitive drums rhythms of tribal pasts, to the intricate Madrigals of the Middle Ages, to the genius of Mozart/Brahms/Beethoven, to the magic of Gershwin/Berlin/Mancini, plus the fire of Armstrong/Dylan/Springsteen. Among so many many others.

The essential power of music is its way of grabbing us directly, totally, palpably. No intellect to filter through, no language to translate; it simply envelopes us heart and soul. An escape...? Maybe....! More an elixir, without the crash. A time/space trip into each little planet of memory or hope in our life. An encounter with the gods who seem always to speak to us best in music.

So farewell to the morning claptrap of bad news and even worse chatter. I start my day with the sounds of interrupted music. God knows, there's still plenty of time left for the day's mayhem....

3 comments:

  1. I think that is a GREAT way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, about the best way this weary warrior can think of in these times!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me music is a "high" at any time of the day or night. Which is why my career was, for the most part, dedicated to music (and the spoken word). There have also been and continue to be some great musical shows on TV. I will be on another high in two weeks when I go see Chita Rivera at Ruth Eckerd Hall here. HERE'S TO MUSIC, A DEFINITE ELIXIR!!!!

    ReplyDelete