Wednesday, July 8, 2009

DIGITAL TV SNAFU NOT SO BAD

The Sun Times reports "digital TV switch not smooth for all." (July 8). But this all depends on how you feel about not being able to receive some of your local channels. Is this a curse or a cheer...?

To answer that question for myself, I took out my calculator and estimated the breakdown of the local programming these TV owners will miss: Talk 32%(anyone from a chef to a comic)....Commercials 26% (anyone pitching anything just so long as they're pretty and they're smiling)...Re-runs 18% (anything the station can pick up on cheap syndication)....News 12% (anything so long as it focuses on Chicago favorites like scandals, gangs and mayhem)...Weather 8% (anyone at the station who can read a script, because no one really knows what the weather is going to be anyway)...Jokes 4% (any of those little anecdotes they can toss out like a life-raft after they've just drowned you in an ocean of bad news).

Are these stats accurate...? Well, my calculator hasn't switched over to digital yet, so I can't be sure. But I'm calculating they're sadly pretty close.


No comments:

Post a Comment