Thursday, April 8, 2010

THE iPAD COMETH!

No argument here! Steve Jobs and his new iPad have all the makings of the second coming of Moses on the mountain top, carrying brand new tablets for the people. "Time," "Newsweek," "The New York Times" and virtually every print medium was quick to salute their own demise...!

Well, not exactly demise. However, from now on it's very likely that millions more each year will be reading, watching, computing and gaming on this, Apple's revolutionary evolution of the personal computer. Ever since time began, there has been Male and Female. Now there is also iPad.

There will be few people at the foot of this mountain who will challenge the new Moses. Or his sacred tablets. Progress is progress, and the iPad is surely progress in every way. Except, maybe, for two among us. The Monk and the Amish. While I have no personal relationship with either, I'm imagining how a conversation among the three of them might sound:

Steve: "I have come to set you free."

Monk: "Free from what?"

Steve: "From the time&space limits of your everyday world."

Monk: "But I am not of this world; my world is in the life of the spirit."

Amish: "And in my world, time&space are not something we try to overcome; instead, to take in stride."

Steve: "I'm not saying everyone needs the iPad; but I am saying, everyone can gain something with it."

Amish: "Ahh, but gaining things like faster and easier isn't quite what we're all about."

Monk: "And actually, Steve, gaining something makes no sense once you've already found everything."

Steve: "Well, thanks for listening, fellas. [LONG PAUSE] But, you know, maybe I should come down from here, and listen to you for awhile!"

Cue the lightening...! Oh, and also the enlightening...!





No comments:

Post a Comment