Saturday, November 20, 2010

THE FACE OF GOD; THE FACE OF MAGGIE

Philosophers, even some cosmologists, speak of finding the "mind of God." Artists from the first cave-dwelling-scratchers speak of finding the "face of God." I've been looking for both for years, so you'd think I might have something worth sharing. The embarrassing fact of the matter is I don't...!

The best I can do is list some of my discards.

I quickly discarded the "mind" search. It demands minds mightier than mine. The "face" search seemed easier. For instance: Nature. When you look into the face of the Grand Canyon, the California Redwoods, the fields of Tuscany, the deserts of Egypt, the peaks of the Alps and Himalayas, or the heaving North Atlantic -- well, somewhere in there is His face. Only it's never come into complete focus for me.

Next are the faces of great faces. Of Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Reuben, Rodin, Picasso, right down to my Norman Rockwell. Each of their faces have blessed and haunted the world ever since hand was put to canvass or marble. Only these faces belong to their creators, not the Creator.

So then, on to the faces of those you know and love. I begin with my parents, my wife, my children, my family and friends. Extraordinary faces, all, each crafted by nature and refined by living. A fountainhead of faces which remains always in the ripples of my thoughts.

And yet...

Does it diminish any of these to admit that the face that most often comes into focus is Maggie. My grand-children's gently aging Golden Retriever. It has been reported that the "Mannie" in Barry Manilow's song was actually his dog. All I can say is the face of a good dog is perhaps the face of faces. Eyes alive with affection...nose smelling your affection in return...teeth and tongue curled into a permanent sense of devotion.

Crazy? I don't think so! Maggie (just like my own Spotty when I was a child) often seems to be the closest face to the face of God anywhere on earth. Always there. Always attentive. Always willing to give me another chance. I try to live up to her expectations, and when I fail she never fails to forgive me....





2 comments:

  1. I need a dog in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How apt!
    You've found a new way to say "Dog is my co-pilot". :->
    I'll go this far with you: I too have never come so close to seeing 'God' as when Nero and I hike the desert. To meet Nero, and the Arizona desert, you can see the "Molino Canyon" album in my photos.

    ReplyDelete