Sunday, October 31, 2010

HIDING ON A WALL IN A LONGAGO LIBRARY

After all those scary Mayan Calendar predictions about the year 2012, now new research says earth's flaming finale won't actually come for many years later. Therefore, fans, the never-ending, end-of-the-world cottage industry marches on. However, here's one non-Mayan who found a finale of sorts just a few weeks ago.

Despite today's exotica of GPS systems, such paraphernalia can only get you to places. Not to feelings. And so it was I ventured into my old west-side community of Austin without paraphernalia. Only passion. A passion to re- experience the feelings of my young days poring over the great books here in our neighborhood's small library.

The local demographics have changed dramatically. But the cozy, brown-brick building remains proudly intact. [Right alongside Austin's 1900 replica of Philadelphia's Independence Hall where I was to meet my wife-to-be exactly 50 years after it was apparently built for us!]. In these same dusty stacks, this pre-teen explored the classics...the biographies...most especially all those self-help books boys crave in order to improve everything from their dating personality to their curve ball.

A quiet Saturday morning and clearly out of place. I crumpled into a back chair, and pretended to be reading a magazine. What I was really doing is trying to re-live the hopes and yearnings of a skinny kid in the early 1940s looking to make sense of his place in his world's large wars and dramas. [Oh, and also trying to re-live what it felt like to be desperately in love with Rosemary, reigning beauty-queen of our 7th grade!].

It was then that my pre-Mayan finale hit home.

It was that photo on the wall. Could it be? Yes, it was. It was an old B&W group shot on the library steps of some Saturday morning kids years ago. And, gee, the skinny kid with the unkempt hair was among them. A tiny moment in distant time frozen forever by a nameless photographer. You examine it and you say to yourself the only words that fit: "That was once me. This is now me. From a finale to a prologue. All in the Biblical four-score-and-ten. Not great...but not bad!"

4 comments:

  1. This was a pleasant moment of reminiscence to come across on a Sunday morning Jack ... much thanks for the shared memory ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dear Geezer ~ I've missed you. And your warm thoughts from up Canada way. Will you be re-joining us???????


    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back for some time now Jack having taken a 5 month hiatus from all things "Digital" to spend a quality summer with family ... I am so grateful to have you amongst the literati i am privileged to call friends ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your hiatus...Joan and my daughters say I may be a little addicted to this...but at my age and stage, it's really ideal for a retired teacher who misses the dynamics of the classroom ...oh, and of the teachers lounge with its scintillating colleagues...I'm glad for new colleagues like you

    ReplyDelete