Monday, April 26, 2010

THE IN's & OUT's OF A LIVED LIFE

It all depends in which of Shakespeare's seven stages of life a person finds themself. Personally, I have only one in-door and only one out-door sport left. Neither is especially grand, and only one is possibly gratifying.

Inside, I find myself scouting the television & celebrity magazines which come to us by some computer glitch in paparazzi headquarters. Over morning coffee I have taken up the sport of scoring their pagan pages for how many items I can still identify. To date: Only 7% of the celebrities (I actually lost track after Marilyn & Elvis),...16% of the breasts (I lost track after my prostate surgery)....34% of the abs (I never any to work from in the first place) ...and a proud 0% of the trysts they relentlessly report.

Pathetic, I know!

But fortunately, there's also my outdoor sport: Nature. Always something majestic about clear blue skies, bulging orange suns, the fragrance of fresh-mowed lawns, the muscular challenge of some out-of-reach goal. I clearly remember such from my salad days in summer camps and at beach resorts. From hard-breathing moments reaching a cliff top or surviving another white-water wave. Outdoor exhilarations like these grab hold tight of your heartbeat, never ever to release you from their power.

And so it is I re-experience these same thunderous moments every morning I paddle out in slippers & robe for my morning newspaper. Usually scattered windily across our front lawn. You see -- the kid purposely scatters it like this, because he knows the old boy. And he knows how I still love outdoor adventure...

2 comments:

  1. I'm of a better known 'Grumpy' disposition in my robe excursion for my 'Sunday' paper ... The newsboy knows to leave it in the mailbox (That never did receive any mail as we are 'rural' and pick up mail at the post office) ... Should the delivery chap ever be so wonton as to scatter it across the lawn he would be in trouble ... I know where he lives and I know his parents ... Tee Hee ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see, right there your rugged outdoorsmanship shows up! You're ready to take on the little brat if need be...I shall remember that.

    ReplyDelete