Sunday, March 25, 2012

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE? FLAWED HUMAN OR PERFECT PELICAN?

Now just stop for one damn minute....!

Instead of hurrying from frantic moment to another frantic moment in your very busy life, just stop long enough to experience everything around you that should make you feel proud you're human. I realize how flawed we are -- god knows, it hits me smack in the libido every morning I shave -- but I'm still glad I'm a flawed human rather than a perfect pelican.

Here's why. Because of all the farms, dams, roads and bridges that have made this raw planet a viable home for us. All the schools, hospitals, concert halls and houses of worship whose erection has made this home honorable. All the staggering architecture, statuary, paintings, theatre and music which have poured magnificently from out of the minds and hearts of our species in order to distinguish us from the most magnificent pelican ever to soar.

Civilization -- it's been achieved by our species alone. Why...? Always for me the operative question. The one that must be answered by each of us if we honestly expect to remain human.

After thousands of years of philosophical and scientific why-thinking, here's what it all comes down to. Well, for me. Because I admit to aching for graspable conclusions I can live with; not simply more arguable possibilities I must wrestle with.To the best of my understanding of the best philosophers and scientists in the best light possible, you and I have been programmed from the get-go.

All these works and words and wonders from all these humans all these centuries tell me our species just can't help itself. It knows only how to continuously reach! stretch! seek! Returning to the operative why-question, take your choice [because you do have one]. Either we've been programmed for evolution or for eternity. Everything written in between is simply finessing the answer!.

Speaking for evolution Darwin spoke brilliantly: "At some future time the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate the savage races throughout the world." Speaking for eternity, Augustine spoke brilliantly: "Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they finally rest in thee."

I'm still working on this, fellas. But I hear a clock ticking.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment