Friday, May 6, 2011

SHAKESPEARE FORGOT SOMETHING

Everyone remembers Shakespeare's "all the world's a stage." And everyone has learned each in their own way that "we are all players." However, the Bard never told you about that other stage. Backstage.

For every glistening stage -- be it a theatre, a community, a city, or a country -- there's something important going on behind the curtains. The world of backstage is a remarkably different venue than the world on stage. Somewhere back of all the colorful lights and sets and costumes and performers, moves a phantom army of silent people in black. The invisible people who cunningly make possible that splash of illusions out front for the audience.

I was again reminded of this as I stood backstage of the fabled Chicago Theatre, waiting for my cue. On stage was a "cast" that included the Cardinal of Chicago, local columnists, comics, retauranteurs, and the comedy troupe from Second City. It was being taped in front of a live audience of urbanites who love this city and what's happening in it.

My role was a small one, but waiting there in the wings you quickly understand the remarkable contrast between what the audience is experiencing and what the stage crew is making possible. Very much the same contrast that exists in every facet of life. What humanity presents "on stage" are the illusions we wish to share. But no more. After all, to look behind the curtain is to spoil the show.

And that's OK, because life looks a lot nicer this way. The question, though, is how to define the show? Is it all a sham, a fraud, a lie? Some will say so, doubting whatever their eyes report. These are the cynics among us. Others will doubt on an even larger scale. These are the conspiracy-theorists among us.
Still others will doubt nothing they see or hear. These are the fools among us.

It takes all three types to make an audience. But then there is a fourth category. The people who actually choose to go on stage, and do their best to make the show a long-playing hit.

5 comments:

  1. Damn good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having played multiple parts during my life i.e. "Skeptic, Fool, Actor, Adoring Audience Member and Backroom Strategist/Stagehand" I am prepared to shoulder a share of the blame ... though I also take away the experience of the moment ... a 'Wrinkle in Time" so to speak ... and to have lived one must have such experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very well produced article that inspires me and urges me to take your path sir.....thank you. by the way about two weeks the theme of theatre dominated my life...............................

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geezer ~ You clearly are a Renaissance Man

    Peacemaker ~ I don't think you can find a better source for inspiration than the world of the theatre. Good luck there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I like to think that my writing may some day make it onto the stage, I will not be standing there with it. My hat is off to the actors and I might add to all those techies who make it happen.

    ReplyDelete