Saturday, May 22, 2010

FINDING THE MEANING OF LIFE AT STARBUCK'S

The three college students had un-dumped their backpacks, and were raising their voices over their lattes. Wasn't hard to hear their topic: What's the meaning of life? Now when I was about their age, I had that answer right in the palm of my hand. But somehow, over the years, it slipped out. So I tried to listen in...

The lanky red-head hooked his argument onto Camus: "The only real philosophical issue about the meaning of life is why shouldn't we kill ourselves?" The question is a prickly one. Considering life's relentless problems and pressures, we all wonder sometime.

The serious-faced brunette trumped Camus with Chekhov: "Life is a tragedy filled with joys." So for her the only reason to keep living is if there's some joys to live for. That was the meaning to life. The only real meaning.

The big thumper with the ratty hair sealed the deal with Wood Allen. He quoted him from his movie "Manhattan" in which Allen explains how we all know in our gut things that give our life meaning. His personal list was Groucho Marx, Willie Mays, the second movement to the Jupiter Symphony, Louie Armstrong's 'What a Beautiful World,' Swedish movies, Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra, those incredible apples and pears by Cezanne, and Spencer Tracy's face.

I could identify with every one of them....! That suddenly made me feel really good. In the case of Woody Allen and Camus, their list wouldn't include a God. Fortunately for me, my list did. Which made me feel really really good. I even thanked the three of them on my way out.

The looks on their faces suggest that I will not make their lists. But that's OK, I still feel really really good...

2 comments:

  1. Great experience - thanks foe sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat ~ Frankly, I kinda like Woody Allen's view of life. He's just neurotic enough to make great sense to me.

    ReplyDelete