Tuesday, March 9, 2010

NAPPING WITH DICK CHENEY

NAP...? EVERY TIME I CAN.....!

"Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until the feeling passes." Ever since Noel Coward (and others) uttered those words, there's been this roaring debate between exercising and napping. Contrary to today's drumbeat of medical advice, the more I age the more I nap.

Now vengeance is mine....!

In a recent research study, psychologists at the University of California, Berkley, have voted for napping too. Their studies demonstrate napping in the early afternoon does indeed increase productivity. "A 90-minute nap re-boots the part of the brain critical to short-term memory," writes author Matthew Walker. "After this, you're ready to soak up new information."

When I wrote executive addresses at MacDonald's headquarters in Oakbrook, Il, I happened upon this plushy, sealed-room "think tank" on the 9th floor. Executives were encouraged to visit and relax here. I don't know if they concluded this was a good investment, but really all they had to do was ask the passionate devotees of the siesta in Italy and Mexico. They've been joyously re-booting their brains for centuries.

And now you'll excuse me for about 90 minutes....

DICK CHENEY AND ME

Crows are infamous for never forgetting a human face. So -- for what reason I can't possibly imagine -- ecologists in Seattle decided to test this premise. They used a variety of face-masks, including one of Dick Cheney.

Sure enough, weeks later, the same crows recognized the same face-masks. The "New Scientist" reports crows may have evolved this way in order to "adapt to living in close proximity to human beings."

My own experience was once the mistake of checking the nests of Starlings near our front door. Innocent curiosity notwithstanding, flights of Starlings perched across our street, and swooped down for my eyes every time I left the house. The attacks -- and I kid you not, they were attacks! -- ended only after the eggs hatched, and the Starlings left in self-righteous disgust.

Lesson? I scare birds as much as Dick Cheney. Which for me is really scary...!




2 comments:

  1. Nappng with Dick Cheney? Now that's one hell of a scary thought! :-)

    As far as naps go, I find your stats interesting. They have never worked for me. I usually end up more tired when I wake up from a nap...and crabby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm guessing if either one of us napped with Cheney, we would definitely wake up crabby! Or, if he had a shotgun, w might not wake up at all...

    ReplyDelete